Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm going crazy

Today was first official day of APPE 1.  Woopee.  It's my first of two retail rotations, which is my bread and butter.  This particular pharmacy I'm at right now has only been open since late March, so they don't have too much business.  When I talked to my preceptor on the phone, he told me that they're kind of slow, but that it would give me an opportunity to counsel a lot (which is something I am looking forward to since I don't get to do much of that at home).  BUT...when he said "kind of slow," he wasn't telling me the whole truth.  When he said "kind of slow," he meant "so slow you could watch paint dry and it would be more exciting."  In my 8 hours there, I did a grand total of 3 transfers, took 6 drop-offs, and answered the phone twice.  And they got not one phone call from a doctor's office, either directly or left on the voicemail.  Luckily, I have a good classmate on rotation with me to pass the time with. 

Oh, and my actual preceptor wasn't even there...he's on vacay for the next week.  We were fortunate enough to work with this eccentric 60s-ish floater from Taiwan.  I've decided that he's a conspiracy theorist.  He thinks everything is evil and out to get people - ie the higher management in the company he works for, drug companies, the government.  Don't get me wrong, I really liked him...he was just strange, lol.  And I may not have gotten any interesting patient stories, but Floater Pharmy had plenty of one-liners:

(overhearing employees cheering somewhere in the store**) "Drug Store loves me, Drug Store hates me...no, Drug Store is just using you."
**apparently there was some type of manager's meeting this morning...I have no clue what they were so happy about.

Tech:  "It's hot in here."
RPh:  "Because I'm hot."

(referring to inserting rectal suppositories)  "You just spank it and it automatically shoots in - it's a nursing skill."

This last one needs a little explanation:  Floater Pharmy had a big blue jug of water that was crystal clear early in the morning.  Throughout the morning, the water began to turn a greenish hue, and I noticed that there were 3 teabags floating in the top.  An employee stocking the OTC section noticed as well and asked what was floating in the top of his jug.  His response:

"Goldfish."

And 10 minutes later, when the tech noticed the teabags and asked about them, she was awarded with an totally different answer:

"Dead rats.  Mmm...rats."

I work with this guy tomorrow, too...should be interesting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment